Question: I am thinking about separating from my spouse. What can I do to prepare for that?
Answer: Separation is a significant event, emotionally and financially. It is a really good idea to be prepared if you can be. Here are a few points that may be of assistance:
- Contact a family lawyer to find out in advance your rights and obligations. (We offer a free consultation for that.)
- Get your emotional supports in order, whether friends or family or others you rely upon.
- Besides a lawyer, seek out advice from your other professional supports, including your accountant, banker and/or financial advisor.
- Track down all of your financial documentation relating to your income, assets and liabilities, insurance, even daily costs.
- Find your will and power(s) of attorney if you have those.
- Try to have an overall plan in place, which plan may be made with the help of the items above.
Lockyer + Hein LLP is a full service law firm that does a lot of family law. We are happy to meet you for a free consultation at one of our three offices, including 8 Guelph Street, Georgetown, in the Lounsbury Life & Group Insurance Benefits building.