What Should I do?

Gravel and two wedding rings


Q:        I am separated.  We have 2 children.  My youngest does not want to see me.  What should I do?

A:        Certainly, separation can be very difficult for children.  It is so important for children to maintain healthy relationships with both parents if at all possible.  In fact, the Divorce Act speaks in terms of children having “maximum contact” between parents, so equal time, unless it can be shown this is not in the children’s best interests.  Sometimes, a parent may be acting or speaking in a manner that has the effect of alienating a child from the other parent.  For instance, the parent may be: speaking in a derogatory way about the other parent to or in front of the children, obstructing or denying access to the child, fabricating instances of abuse, and so forth. This is wrong, and needs to be addressed immediately.  Otherwise, there can be lasting harmful effects on the child.  You might seek remedy in the courts, and certainly look at getting professionals involved to help the child, like a psychologist or therapist. We do a lot of family/divorce law.  I am happy to meet you for a free consultation at one of our three offices, including 8 Guelph Street, Georgetown, in the Lounsbury Life & Group Insurance Benefits building.  Have a great weekend.